Welcome, fellow food enthusiasts! If you’ve ever craved the crispy goodness of KFC chicken in the comfort of your home, you’re in for a treat. Follow our detailed guide below to create your own mouthwatering HOMEMADE KFC CHICKEN!
History and Origins
The iconic KFC chicken has a rich history dating back to Colonel Sanders’ secret blend of 11 herbs and spices. While our recipe may not be the exact replica, it pays homage to the finger-lickin’ goodness that has become a global sensation.
Tools, People, and Cooking Time
Before we dive into the culinary adventure, let’s gather our tools and set the stage. You’ll need:
- Large pot
- 2 large bowls
- Stockpot or high skillet
For a delightful cooking experience, invite a friend or family member to join you. Cooking is always more enjoyable when shared!
Estimated Cooking Time: Approximately 30-40 minutes
Ingredients and Substitutes
Now, let’s talk about the star players in this culinary masterpiece. Gather the following ingredients:
- 10 pieces of chicken (thighs and legs with skin)
- 2 cups of wheat flour
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chicken or meat seasoning
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
Feel free to experiment with substitutes. For example, you can try using buttermilk instead of evaporated milk for a tangy twist, or swap wheat flour with a gluten-free alternative for a celiac-friendly version.
Let’s embark on the culinary journey step by step:
- Wash and dry the chicken pieces thoroughly. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- In a large pot, partially submerge the chicken pieces in water. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes with the lid on.
- While cooking, prepare two large bowls. In the first, combine flour, cornstarch, minced garlic, and seasoning. Stir well. In the second, mix eggs, milk, mustard, salt, and pepper with a fork.
- Once cooked, remove chicken from water and pat dry. Coat each piece in the flour mixture, then in the egg mixture, and again in the flour. Refrigerate for a couple of minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a stockpot or high skillet, heat enough oil to submerge the chicken over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, remove chicken from the refrigerator and fry 2-3 pieces at a time until golden brown on all sides. Avoid burning the chicken or oil.
- After frying, let the chicken rest on a plate with absorbent paper to remove excess oil.
Top 4 Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
Mistake 1: Underseasoning
Some chefs skimp on seasoning, resulting in bland chicken. To avoid this, be generous with salt and pepper during both seasoning and coating phases.
Mistake 2: Rushing the Frying Process
Frying chicken requires patience. Rushing can lead to uneven cooking. Maintain medium heat, and patiently achieve that perfect golden-brown crust.
Mistake 3: Neglecting Drying Time
Skipping the drying step before coating can affect the adherence of the flour mixture. Ensure the chicken is thoroughly dry for a crispy finish.
Mistake 4: Crowded Frying Pan
Overcrowding the frying pan lowers the oil temperature and results in soggy chicken. Fry in small batches for that satisfying crunch.
Q1: Can I use a different type of flour?
A1: Absolutely! Experiment with alternative flours like almond or coconut for a unique flavor profile.
Q2: Can I bake the chicken instead of frying?
A2: While frying yields that signature KFC crunch, you can bake the chicken for a slightly healthier option. Adjust cooking times accordingly.
Q3: Is there a vegetarian version of this recipe?
A3: Try substituting the chicken with cauliflower or tofu for a tasty vegetarian alternative.
Q4: Can I make the seasoning at home?
A4: Certainly! Mix your own blend of herbs and spices to create a personalized seasoning that suits your taste.
Q5: How do I store leftover fried chicken?
A5: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. To reheat, use an oven for crispiness or a microwave for a quick warm-up.
Congratulations! You’ve just mastered the art of making HOMEMADE KFC CHICKEN. Whether you’re hosting a gathering or simply satisfying a craving, this recipe is sure to impress. Remember the key steps, avoid common mistakes, and feel free to put your own spin on this classic dish. Enjoy your crispy, flavorful creation!